Ars Magica – Lumen
Recently Lumen has been on a trip to Waddenzee with several of her friends from the covenant at Triamore. (See myweb.tiscali.co.uk/thelemur/ars/ars%20wus/1224b_april_wu.html for the write up).
From her perspective the journey was mostly uneventful apart from:
- premonitions of the attack on the ship they were using (during which she mostly made attackers fall asleep);
- some searching on a swamp near Waddenzee where she realised that she could spontaneously cast to power the punt they were using; she also made a bird;
- the visit to Waddenzee itself, where she rescued one of the local women from ill use, employing her as a second maid;
- a night excursion just on the mainland on return where a lot of time was spent searching in the dark for a particularly unpleasant creature, which was later found to be called a Lamia.
So what does Lumen take from all that experience? Before she went off she had a desire to learn to read Greek, she also had some fondness for getting out and meeting people between her winter study sessions. So she has spent the journey up getting to know something of the places she has been. A little of that will also have been reflection on her Parma as she was going to visit a covenant that may have been unfriendly. She also spent a three encounters searching for things (two of those in the dark) and she spontaneously cast at least three spells. On the way back she spent some significant time trying to communicate with her new maid, so some language skills there. She also used her second sight.
So her autumn/winter study priorities are likely to be:
- learn to read greek;
- read some sort of bestiary to find out more about lamia (and similar sorts of creatures);
- read up on parma magica, ignem and terram (in that order)